Friday, December 08, 2006

The Happy Tummy Cyber Cafe and Hammock Bar

I admit it, I'm a terrible hedonist. I like to sleep, I like to eat, and I like comfort. The only reason I believe in Astronomy is because I fit my sign's characteristics to a T. The first hit when Googling "Taurus" turns up: Self-indulgent and greedy. Um, well, yes. I like good food (lots of it), good wine (also lots of it), sitting on the couch (also...okay, you get the picture). In any case, my penchant for *lots of it* tends to spill over into my writing. Most of the conflict in my first book was pretty realistic, but now that I'm getting ready to start #2, I have a tsunami of soap opera storylines raging inside me. They all suck, and frankly, I find myself at a loss as to what the main drama's going to be in my next book. I've had some characters happily living in my head for a while, but I'm not quite sure what they want to do yet.

So, in an attempt to do some brainstorming, I turned to the news. What about traveling? That's always stressful. I had followed the news stories a few weeks ago when an American woman was yanked off a plane for breastfeeding (which prompted a country wide nurse-in at a number of US cities and got the flight attendant censured). Who knew that passing gas could also get you the boot? I decided not to have my protagonist fart herself off a 747 and kept searching. Since it's the Christmas season, I tried to do a little digging on the holiday spirit. What did I find? A mother who got her son arrested for opening his Christmas present early. No joke; apparently 911 is the new way to address behavioural issues.

I always gravitate towards the stranger than fiction type newstories, or sites like the Darwin Awards, which delights in showcasing some of humanity's worst moments. But after spending all this time scouring the Internet looking at news stories, I was forced to admit that I spend too much time reading about people's quirks and not enough writing about them. And I still don't have any good ideas.

You'll have to excuse me now. I'm heading off to the wedding of two very good friends, where I will be indulging...er, well, you know.

Maia

PS: The title of this post is the name of the restaurant I'd set up if I ever won the lottery, sort of an ode to headonism: a cyber cafe featuring drinks with insanely long straws, so that people don't have to get up from their hammocks. Believe it or not, I've been able to convince a few people that this is a good idea. Come on: Hammocks? Food? Drinks? Computers? What's not to love?

4 comments:

Todd Wheeler said...

"(which prompted a country wide nurse-in at a number of US cities and got the flight attendant censured)."

How cool is that, eh? My cousin's wife works for La Leche League and helps coordinate those nurse-ins. If only all political groups could get that kind of rapid-response protest going on.

Who are the characters in your head? What do they want from each other? Can you picture a scene with them in it?

piika said...

i'm with you all the way Viking Girl... just send me the address of the bar and I could be your local wine snob. course we'd have to watch Coronation Street.....

Maia said...

Todd:

It's pretty neat, definitely.

I can definitely picture a scene with my characters, but I'm not exactly sure what the main conflict is yet. I'm going to start writing and hope they tell me :)
M

Maia said...

Piika:

Oooo, local wine snob, I like that. Coronation street sounds good to me.
:)
M