Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Tagged

I've been tagged, thanks to Todd Wheeler. Unsuprisingly, it took me a few days to come up with 5 interesting things about me.

1) My father is from the Estonian Island of Hiiumaa, and after WWII no one in our family was able to return, or, in many cases, communicate with family members there. After the fall of the iron curtain it was like Estonia-palooza for us; I was able to obtain an Estonian passport and citizenship, and have voted in two Estonian elections. I even travelled on the Estonia a year before it sank in what was one of the worst ferry disasters of all time. I also learned Estonian at the age of 20 at the University of Toronto, although it is a ridiculously difficult language with a completely unreasonable amount of vowels. Just ask my better half, John, who's currently taking introductory Estonian classes.

2) My University degree is actually in Criminology, not computers; I've read dozens of legal cases, sat in on many trials, and I do volunteer work with an organization that assists victims of crime. I originally thought I wanted to be a lawyer but I've never worked in the legal field and I don't want to write crime novels, although I love to read them. I do sometimes wonder if all those university years were a good investment, but there you go.

3) My maternal great-grandmother was an Irish Home Child. Home Children were impoverished youngins who were sent to Canada as - basically - forced labourers. Most were orphans, but my great-grandmother was not: her mother died when she was young and her father was seen as an unfit father because he was a musician. My great-grandmother was so badly treated in Canada that her daughter - my maternal grandmother (who was, without a doubt, the most kind hearted person I've ever met), only ever made me promise her one thing; that if I ever visited Ireland I would spit on the doorstep of the family who insisted my great-grandmother be sent away. I will be heading to Ireland for the first time next summer, and now I have to decide if I'm going to spit on some poor Irish family's property.

4) I'm a junk/vintage/antique freak. My TV sits on a what used to be a reading table at the university of New Brunswick in the 60's, my CDs/DVDs are stored in an antique icebox, the sidetable on my side of the couch is a vintage pie safe. It wasn't until a year ago that I realized that all of my stuff was once owned by people who are now dead. Thankfully, none of my possessions are haunted, although I did live in a haunted house while in university; kitchen cupboards would open themselves, deadbolts would be slipped into place even when no one was inside the house, and I once woke up to what appeared to be a tiny apparition in my bedroom. The landlord was really upset that we didn't want to renew our lease. Me? Not so much.

5) I'm a photography wannabee, and I prefer to shoot in black and white. This is one of my faves, a shot of BHJ, taken in the same area where my great-grandmother's family ended up settling; near Sherbrooke, Quebec:



Now I'm going to tag a REAL photographer: Toronto artist and photographer Piika.

Cheers,
Maia

PS. The Gritlit festival and Murder Mystery last weekend was fantastic! I'll be blogging about it next week.

3 comments:

Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks for being a good sport! And now the curse blogger tag passes on. I imagine the consequences would be less than having a ghost in your pie safe.

Maia said...

Heh. I hope so!

piika said...

okey dokey - you tagged me - i posted on it.....