Friday, November 24, 2006

How Does Karma Work, Exactly?

First off, I'd like to give thanks to Buzzfeed for linking to my gay penguin exposé earlier this week: http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzz/Gay_Penguins. They are my new BFFs.

Secondly, I wanted to talk about the latest OJ Simpson foolishness - even though it looks like it's already over, I'm never one to turn down beating a dead horse.

You'd have to be living under a rock to have missed the craptastic events of the early 90's when Simpson went on trial for the murder of his wife and her friend Ron Goldman. Simpson has always proclaimed his innocence, even though he later lost a civil suit to the tune of $33.5 mil. His answer? Retire, since his pensions and residence (as soon as he scooted over to Florida to take advantage of their more lenient regulations) cannot be claimed as part of the civil suit.

His most recent shenanigans involve both a book and interview, entitled, "If I Did It", featuring "Simpson speak[ing] in hypothetical terms about how he would have committed the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife, Nicole, and her friend Goldman."(CNN.) I don't even understand what the hell that means, but it's basically all kinds of stupid.

I was reading through an interview done with the über perky Katie Couric on the 10th anniversary of the murders and was struck by (a) what an asshole this guy is and (b) his assertion that people are overjoyed to see him wherever he goes, comping him meals and whatnot. I'd have to say that the recent uproar and ensuing cancellation of his book and interview deal would lead me to rethink that perspective, if I was him. Since he's clearly a raving narcissist, it's unlikely that'll ever happen.

What's the real the kicker, you ask? He'll likely be able to keep his $1 million+ advance. Oh, yeah, and the interview and book will likely slither out anyway: recent news stories show that a few copies of the book have already hit eBay.

M

2 comments:

piika said...

Karma - what's going to happen to the guy who wrote Running with Scissors.... have you seen the fallout from that?

Maia said...

I know his family isn't to hot on his memoir, but I haven't heard anything specific about it. I picked up the book a little while ago, but I haven't gotten around to read it yet. It's coming out as a movie now, too, I think. Should be interesting....