Friday, October 20, 2006

Toronto's International Festival of Authors, Part I

EDITED TO ADD: Uh, yeah. I'm an idiot. Why? It's not October 28th yet. (I blame the paint fumes.) The Toronto International Festival of Authors is currently taking place, so check out www.readings.org to see if any of your favourite writers are in town.

***

Well, Toronto's International Festival of Authors is upon us, and naturally, I have front row tickets (okay, they're not actually front row, but they will be once I push a few people out of a few chairs) to an event. Tomorrow I'm going to see Ryan Knighton (who I've blogged about earlier) interviewed by Don McKellar.

I bought the tickets online and was struck by how awful the ordering process in general, and the form in particular, was. Truly, Internet technology is terribly misunderstood by some people. The form wasn't correctly framed in my browser (and I tried two of them) so the whole experience was nothing short of traumatizing. (I almost ended up with tickets to a...let's just say, something I would never go see. Even if you threatened me. With a gun.)

The piece de resistance was the confirmation email saying that: "someone will be calling you to discuss all the details of your purchase". Discuss? Details? The only discussion I want to have is...oh wait. If I wanted to talk to someone I would have ordered the tickets over the home. (Yes, I know, I'm an anti-social urban hermit. What can I say? It works for me.) I was curious, though, about what they would say: Hi Maia, still want the tickets?

Well, yes.

There was a whopping $5 charge to mail the tickets basically down the street, so by yesterday I was getting slightly perturbed that they hadn't showed up. I was going to call them to "discuss all the details" of my ticket-less status if they hadn't arrived by today and, to be honest, I was gearing up to be a little ranty about it.

Naturally, the tickets showed up in this morning's mail.

No one from Harbourfront ever ended up calling me, so I guess that means they don't want to talk to me either. Even though I don't want to talk to them, I have wanted to go to a Harbourfront reading event for a while, so I'm suitably excited about my literary outing tomorrow. One thing that's interesting about Harbourfront is that they charge for readings; $15 per ticket if you're general public, or $12 if you're a member. It's not a huge amount, but I bet it stops some people from attending, which is too bad. I sure as hell hope that money goes to the writers.

In any case, Paint-a-palooza 2006 continues, and I'm covered with a sticky oil-based expresso coloured semi-gloss. Looks like I have a date with some varsol.

M

No comments: