Friday, August 11, 2006

Now THAT'S Dedication

I'm a longtime reader of JA Konrath's blog; he's a US writer and literary marketing wiz with a seemingly endless amount of energy, and his blog is home to a number of lively discussions on all kinds of topics.

He announced earlier this summer that he was going to go on a mind-boggingly enormous 500 store book tour for his latest tome, Rusty Nail. He even got a write-up in Wired (which covers all things nerdly, and is near and dear to my heart) about the GPS he's using for his cross-country extravaganza.

I've been following his progress, and it makes me tired just to read his entries these days, except for his latest post, A Newbie's Guide to Publishing: Tour Day 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40, which included a sweet anniversary shout-out to his wife, who is halfway across the country with their wee ones on their tenth anniversary. Now THAT'S dedication.

I'm a bit of a loner, but staying in a hotel room for a day or two just plain old makes me cranky; Joe's been on the road for weeks at this point. If that was me, I'd seriously need a hug right about now. He's asked readers/writers/friends to loan him a couch if he's in their neck of the woods, but he's not coming to Toronto, or else I'd pony up a steak and a beer for the poor guy. And maybe even a hug, if it wouldn't make me look like some kind of Canadian wacko.

He's a tireless advocate for new writers, answers his email promptly even if you have strange questions, makes up awards that he gives himself, and is an all-around nice guy. Take a look at his blog, and if you like his style, you might want to check out his published stuff; his latest is now on the shelves, but if you're more of a short story/anthology reader I've also seen the new anthology he's in, Thriller, all over the place lately. He also has a short stories series, Four Pack of Jack, available on www.Amazon.com/shorts for a piddly 49 cents (I know that that 49 cents is US, not CDN, but our exchange rate is awesome these days).

Cheers,
Maia

No comments: