Thursday, July 20, 2006

AAAAARRRRRGHH!!!!

That's my pirate noise. (I'm still working on it.) I was writing a post about the wonderfulness that was MASH and ended up on the blog of Ken Levine, who wrote for MASH and blogs about TV writing and the like. While going through his reminiscences about the 4077th, I came across his hilarious post about Pirates of the Caribbean, which starts out with; "NO SPOILER ALERT: I saw the movie and still don't know what was going on."

I'd have to say I agree with Ken. John wasn't feeling well last week, so I decided to treat him to one of his favourite things - pirates! I'm not anti-pirate, in fact, I think we need more of them, especially since my higher power - the Flying Spaghetti Monster - believes that the decrease in pirates over the last century is the real cause behind global warming:


I haven't seen An Inconvenient Truth yet, so the Flying Spaghetti Monster's theory is the one I'm sticking to for now. Certainly, I have a few bootlegger/semi-pirate/Viking relatives floating around in my genetic pool, so; Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum, and all that. I wasn't sorry I went to see Pirates, but I did have a hellova lot of "huh?" moments while watching all whopping 151 minutes of it. And, seriously, I'm not a clean freak or anything, but I REALLY wanted to tell everyone to brush their teeth. 'Cause...ew.

This all kind of goes back to what I was saying earlier about special effects - if the story isn't good, all the effects in the world can't fix it. Oh, wait...it's breaking box office records, you say? Well, so did Da Vinci Code, which isn't exactly what I'd call great literature. But what do I know?

I guess I'm just getting incredibly bored of all the CGI special effects in movies these days, even though I am a techno geek. Or maybe I'm just getting old and crochety; I was telling a story last week that started with; "when I was young, we...."

Well, we did!

Cheers,
M

No comments: