Thursday, June 08, 2006

Just Who the Hell is BHJ Anyway?

Those of you who read my blog might wonder who this BHJ is that I keep rambling about. Well, BHJ is shorthand for Better Half John, my unmarried domestic partner/common-law husband/equivalent-to-spouse and all-around sweetie pie.

It's great to live in Canada where those of us who are living in sin get all the benefits of marriage, but it's sometimes difficult to figure out what term to use, particularly since "partner" is often interpreted as business partner, and DINKs (Double Income No Kids) just isn't something you'd use in polite company. Better Half seems to cover most of the bases.


Me and BHJ


Cheers, Maia.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's no really good word for it in English... just last night an old friend left a message on my machine and referred to her "partner of 7 years", my husband happily shrieked "I didn't know you had lesbian friends, RIGHT ON! INVITE THEM OVER IMMEDIATELY!" ... sigh.. men. My friend later explained the same sentiment, she's been with her boyfriend for 7 years, they own property and cats together, she doesn't want to call him her boyfriend but she's not married... I like the Esto term abikaasa.

-tygrrtwo/Pia

Maia said...

That's true, abikaasa is good, gender-free term. I'll have to start converting Canucks to use it...

M

Tai Viinikka said...

Maia,

Cool, you have an Estonian abacus?

Maia said...

Tai: what's the Finnish word, do you know?

Actually, Pia might know...

Interestingly, abacuses (abaci?) are still in general use in Estonia, at least the last time I was there.

M