Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Up Yer Kilt!

So, I'd like to wish a very happy Robbie Burns day to everyone out there! Lord knows there's not much I like more than men in kilts, so I'm all for it. If you're out and about tonight, raise a pint - or a nice twelve year old scotch - for Robbie Burns, writer of the poem "Auld Lange Syne". No one knows what the hell the song means, but we keep singing it every New Year's anyway, and in the interest of learning more about Robbie Burns, I went looking for the meaning of "Auld Lange Syne" and found this on the Internet (so it *must* be true):

"Auld Lang Syne" translates from old Scottish dialect literally as "Old Long Ago"

Old long ago? See, I'm not sure if I'm really helping here.

Reading on:

"and is a song about celebrating the past and looking forward to the future, with the 'cup o'kindness' being a drink shared as a symbol of friendship."

Well, I can party down with that. Happy Robbie Burns day, y'all!

Maia

No comments: