Sunday, January 15, 2006

So what's the deal with this book thing?

I'm glad you asked. 'This book thing' is a project near and dear to my heart that I've been working on for a little over two years now. I'm very close to finishing a draft that can be sent out for some editorial input. My Better Half, John (and since geeks are so fond of acronyms, I'll just refer to Better Half John as BHJ from now on) sent out two chapters to a freelance editor as a birthday present for me last year, and the comments I got back were both helpful and positive. Thanks, BHJ! So, I think that it's a good idea to have a pro vet the whole book before I start to submit it. (Of course, I have to actually finish it first, but...well, Christmas was busy. And I've had a cold. Ohbloodyhell, the book just keeps getting longer, that's why it's not done).

But soon, soon.

So what's the book about? Well, I'm glad you asked that, too. In the proverbial nutshell, it's the story of a young ├╝ber geek coping with the chaos of the Internet crash of 2000/2001 who, at the end of it all, has to figure out where she really belongs. It's set in Toronto and deals with sleepless nights, caffeine addiction, Star Trek, wacky friends, fast food, McGyver, an ailing relationship, technobabble, and corporate betrayal and intrigue. It's a dramatic comedy. Dramady?

I'll be putting bits and pieces of it up on my website when I finally get it (the website AND the book) up and running, whenever the fark that will be. I've been thinking about how to layout the website for quite some time now, and I hope to get it launched within the next month or so. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
Maia

4 comments:

Naive said...

That's really cool :) I've wondered what the book was about. I'm a book-a-holic as well (i have a database of the books i own so i don't buy duplicates, because i keep forgetting what i've got!)...but i've always been a romance/mystery/suspense junkie.

Your description of The Book sounds interesting enough that i can't wait 'till you're done!

Shirley said...

You GO Viking Girl! I totally love this blogsite.

Maia said...

Naive: we should trade books :) I have a ton of mystery/suspense. I might even have some romance kicking around..
M

Maia said...

THANK YOU SHIRLEY!